No one likes to discuss uncomfortable subjects with kids, but doing so is sometimes necessary in order to save their lives. That is why I wrote my three Dangers Zones books about Abuse and Neglect, Sexual Abuse and Kidnapping.
For a long time, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police successfully distributed these books for free to kids in the Canadian Public Schools. The favorite book of the three was Kidnapping and was on Canada’s list of best books for 9 year olds for years.
This is some of the important information that the Danger Zones – Kidnapping book teaches kids:
Most of the people in the world are good people. They are kind and helpful. This is why you are safe most of the time. However, there are a few people who have serious problems. These people can be harmful. This is why you are not safe all of the time.
You need to protect yourself against the few harmful people in the world. Kidnapping is one of the harmful experiences you need to avoid. When people are forcibly taken away it is called kidnapping.
There are several things kidnappers do to get children to go with them:
1. Bribes – Some kidnappers give children gifts or make promises to do favors to get children go away with them.
2. Tricks – Some kidnappers tell children convincing lies that make children believe that it is okay to go away with the kidnapper.
3. Intimidation – Some kidnappers remind children that they are supposed to do what adults tell them to do. They also remind children that they are bigger and stronger and can force children to cooperate if necessary.
4. Force – Some kidnappers use their strength to overpower children They restrain children to make the children go away with them.
You can avoid being kidnapped by doing these six things:
1. Make sure there is an adult close by who can reach you and help you immediately.
2. Make sure your parents or guardians know where you are and what you will be doing at all times.
3. Avoid going places alone. Make sure there is at least one person with you wherever you go.
4. Avoid being in deserted places.
5. Avoid being in dark places.
6. Be extremely careful around strangers (people you do not know)
There are several things you should do if a stranger approaches you:
1. Say, “No!” to anything a stranger asks you to do.
2. Run away if a stranger tries to touch you.
3. Scream for help if a stranger tries to grab you.
4. Tell your parents or guardians about any stranger who approaches you.
You do not need to be afraid of being kidnapped if you do the things that are necessary to keep yourself safe.